fbpx

An Exclusive Offer For You To Grab JD Builder ProCheck Deal of The Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Like Using JD Builder?

Submit feature requests on github and help improve JD builder.

Submit Now

TOPIC: Help Translate Astroid!

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 3 weeks ago #12163

• tcn
  • Thank you received: 3
I started with the translation to Dutch. However, I'm new to Transifex. Is there a way for me to find out in what context the strings are being used? This is needed to get the correct translation.

For example, a verb like "Clear" could be translated to a simple verb in Dutch, but it could also be the imperative of the verb as in "Clear!". The letter requires a different translation. I would need the context to determine which fits better.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 3 weeks ago #12181

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 466
tcn wrote:
I started with the translation to Dutch. However, I'm new to Transifex. Is there a way for me to find out in what context the strings are being used? This is needed to get the correct translation.

For example, a verb like "Clear" could be translated to a simple verb in Dutch, but it could also be the imperative of the verb as in "Clear!". The letter requires a different translation. I would need the context to determine which fits better.

You can enable language debug (with strings) in Joomla config. See following link for more: docs.joomla.org/Debugging_a_translation

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 3 weeks ago #12183

• tcn
admin wrote:
You can enable language debug (with strings) in Joomla config. See following link for more: docs.joomla.org/Debugging_a_translation

Thanks for the link. I'm actually quite familiar with language strings, having improved upon quite a few Kunena language strings for our site. Btw, we are live sinds last Sunday. :woohoo:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I was hoping for something in Transifex. It looks like Transifex allows for context information to be present:

I'll make do with our test environment. Let's hope I can find the places where all these strings are used... How come that many of the strings appear to be duplicated? I guess it depends on the context where they are used. Just wondering.

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 3 weeks ago #12187

• admin
  • Administrator
Yes, The duplicates are because of string being used in different placed, sometimes it's a sentence and in other places it's just a single word.

Ofcourse, this is the least we can do! We are trying to provide the best level of support to our users (free or paid).

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 1 week ago #12515

• tcn
I completed the Dutch translation in Transifex. :woohoo: Please consider it a first draft. I will review it once I have the language pack installed in our test environment. That's something you will provide, right?

I also added quite a few comments in Transifex. Please review them. Quite a view actually relate the original English strings. Mostly quirks and inconsistencies. Don't hesitate to ping me with any questions that arise.

There's one more thing of which I'm no longer sure if I put it in the comments. There were a couple of items which contained an example URL. For these you should use, well, the example.com domain. That's something I remember from the past. That's what the domain is for. It makes it absolutely clear, that the given URL is an example and nothing bad will ever happen using a URL constructed around the example.com domain1.

1Unless the dude they call president and who currently occupies the big white building, decides to seize it. But then all hell breaks loose anyway. :evil:

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 1 week ago #12516

• admin
  • Administrator
Thank You, I see it. Let me work with Akash here to get you a an install-able draft for the Dutch version.

Yes, example.com is purely intentional.

I don't think he can seize domain's names, I mean "ICANN" is an independent organization.But again, who knows right; He has done quiet a bit of stuff that wasn't expected anyways. I'll create a Politics category on the forum and we will take this discussion further there.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 1 week ago #12522

• tcn
Yes, example.com is purely intentional.
Yet, it's not used in the English strings. That's why I mentioned it. ;)

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 1 week ago #12601

• akash
  • Thank you received: 18
Hello,

Thanks for the translation. :cheer:
Here's an installable Dutch Language Package for Astroid.

Thanks,
Akash
Thank You,

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 1 week ago #12611

• tcn
Thank you, Akash.

I will install it in our test environment and check my translation. I'm quite busy this week, so don't expect any feedback soon.

Help Translate Astroid! 8 months 6 days ago #12673

• akash
  • Thank you received: 18
Sure, take your time.
Thanks.
Thank You,
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds