fbpx

Trick or Treat - 30% OFF - Coupon Code: SCARY20 Download Now

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Astroid Update Procedure

Astroid Update Procedure 2 months 5 days ago #23759

• dankra
I'm about to start a new project this week. If I use the Astroid [Version: v2.3.0] will the upgrade to the new version be error free and keep my settings if I don't use any overrides to the template? And, will it be using the Joomla updater or a manual install? Just curious how this update will be handled.

Thank you and I'm very enthusiastic to see the new version!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Astroid Update Procedure 2 months 3 days ago #23787

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 609
Hi,

It will keep majority of your settings and overrides as well. Good amount of code has changed but majority of things will stay in place as is.
If you are enthusiastic about trying out the new version, Just install a fresh copy here (it's almost ready and I don't think we'll have any changes before the release) github.com/joomdev/Astroid-Framework/archive/dev.zip

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #23894

• dankra
Thanks Chetan! I decided to wait for the final release and an answer to my pervious question on the update procedure.
Looking forward to a response and the latest release!

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #23895

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 609
It's coming in a few hours!
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dankra

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #24035

• dankra
I'm certainly encouraged to have the NEW Astroid to test out after such a long time between updates, but now I am concerned with so many errors being reported. I'm only using the Framework and One template on a dev site that isn't live yet. I have other live sites to update with Framework and Zero template. I've asked for an update procedure and still no response here. I've also been reading other posts of update problems and this is disappointing as I thought this new release would fix old issues and create new enthusiasm for JoomDev. Please give a time to expect update guide and potential risks (loss of custom css, or other potential warnings.) Thank you!

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #24049

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 137
Hi,

Here's a little documentation of what you would require related to Astroid:
1. github.com/joomdev/Astroid-Framework/wik...th-Astroid-Framework
2. github.com/joomdev/Astroid-Framework/wik...id-Framework-Library
3. github.com/joomdev/Astroid-Framework/wik...in-Astroid-Framework

We are also working on improving our documentation with all the necessary information that users would require. In the meanwhile do let us know if you have any more question for us related to this.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,

To know more about products check out the their documentation.

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #24057

• dankra
Thanks Nishtha, I have given these a quick review. I was looking for a basic instruction for update.
For instance:
• Do you just install over the existing installation?
• Must you deactivate (or switch) the default template prior to update?
• Which files to backup to maintain ALL template CSS (and other params set in the Astroid site configs)?
• As mentioned in the forums, many have already discovered issues with plugin. So obviously that needs to be installed or updated.
• Also many have discovered that the older JoomDev templates were not compatible, so those need to be delayed.

We're all looking forward to this documentation, so I will keep this post current for now, thank you!
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by dankra. Reason: *

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 3 weeks ago #24064

• nishtha
Hi,

Right now we are actually busy with the template updates and fixing some of the common issues in this Astroid update, after the template update we'll definitely work upon improving our documentation, that would cover all the common/basic doubts with this update.

Thank you for mentioning your list of questions I will try to answer most of them in that documentation, which will soon be available.
We request your patience! In the meanwhile do let us know anything else apart from these you would like to know.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 4 days ago #24713

• dankra
Any action on this? I did look at the GitHub docs but they're not the type of step-by-step that most general users could use for updating. See previous questions in thread #24057. Thanks

Astroid Update Procedure 1 month 2 days ago #24744

• nishtha
dankra wrote:
Thanks Nishtha, I have given these a quick review. I was looking for a basic instruction for update.
For instance:
• Do you just install over the existing installation?
• Must you deactivate (or switch) the default template prior to update?
• Which files to backup to maintain ALL template CSS (and other params set in the Astroid site configs)?
• As mentioned in the forums, many have already discovered issues with plugin. So obviously that needs to be installed or updated.
• Also many have discovered that the older JoomDev templates were not compatible, so those need to be delayed.

We're all looking forward to this documentation, so I will keep this post current for now, thank you!

Hi,

After discussing with the team we decided that it's high time that after so many versions of Astroid its rare that our users are still not familiar with how to update Astroid so writing a documentation now as to what all you need to do before updating Astroid sounds a bit off. So I would like to answers all your doubts here only, replies in order:-

1. Yes, just install the updates over the existing one, if you fear any change will go missing then keep a backup before installation.
2. No, you don't need to change the default template before the update.
3. No, you don't need to backup any CSS files or any other file, unless you haven't made any custom changes. Usually the updates are smooth just a few major ones excluded also you can easily downgrade as well in case of major mishaps.
4. The plugin auto update issue has been fixed, the problem only happens in case of custom changes or any other extensions conflict.
5. All our Astroid templates are now compatible with Astroid v2.4, you may check here: www.joomdev.com/compatibility

The technical aspect of Astroid changes have already been documented, any improvement in that is most welcomed. After this if you still have issues with Astroid let us know, we'll try to fix them as well and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,

The following user(s) said Thank You: dankra
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds