fbpx

Astroid 2.4 Landed with Joomla 4 Compatibility Download Now

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ?

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 1 day ago #25142

• Marc
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi,

This is a little weird:
- when I edit custom.css then I just refresh the front-end to see the effects
- when I edit custom.scss then I would see no effect. Then I realized that I had to apparently CLEAN the Joomla cache every time to see the effect of my changes

Is this correct ?
(no other way than cleaning Joomla Cache ?)

NB : I am using Astroid Template One
The administrator has disabled public write access.

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 1 day ago #25155

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 605
Hi Marc (again),

custom.css is directly embedder in the page and you making edit to it directly is reflected in the browser.

SCSS files can't directly be sent to the browser and have to be compiled into CSS. Astroid doesn't compile the SCSS files upon every refresh as that's another 4 - 7 seconds (depending on your server resources).

I hope that explains it.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 23 hours ago #25162

• Marc
  • Premium Member
Hi Chetan,

Txs for the quick reply, as always :)

Sure : we don't want the scss to be recompiled everytime bc of the load on the server.

But actually I was still puzzled by what does *trigger* the compilation :
My impression is that it is the Joomla System Cache... even when the latter is Disabled... which is why I did not immediately thought that Clearing the cache could do anything :D

And also, when we have the answer it would be good to mention it explicitely on
docs.joomdev.com/article/how-to-use-cust...ss-files-to-astroid/

(like yesterday I was trying and trying to add a custom.scss and it would never trigger until I thought of clearing cache, which is not even enabled on this new website :) )

Note : I like it that way (simply clearing the System Cache to make custom.scss changes effective. Much better than what I had with Helix3 (before discovering Astroid) where you had to Enable the "Compile LESS" button in the Template configuration itself.
On Off On Off On Off ;-
Last Edit: 1 week 11 hours ago by Marc.

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 11 hours ago #25181

• admin
  • Administrator
Marc wrote:
Hi Chetan,

Txs for the quick reply, as always :)

Sure : we don't want the scss to be recompiled everytime bc of the load on the server.

But actually I was still puzzled by what does *trigger* the compilation :
My impression is that it is the Joomla System Cache... even when the latter is Disabled... which is why I did not immediately thought that Clearing the cache could do anything :D

And also, when we have the answer it would be good to mention it explicitely on

(like yesterday I was trying and trying to add a custom.scss and it would never trigger until I thought of clearing cache, which is not even especially enabled on this new

Hi Marc,

Back in the last version of astroid it was based on md5 and even that was adding a second or two to the load time everytime the page loads.

In this version, it's strictly cached (using Joomla cache), but doesn't recache/compile CSS until you clear the Cache.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marc

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 11 hours ago #25182

• Marc
  • Premium Member
Yeah !

I like it that way (simply clearing the System Cache to make custom.scss changes effective).

Much better also than what I had with Helix3 (before discovering Astroid) where you had to Enable the "Compile LESS" button in the Template configuration itself.
On Off On Off On Off ;-

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 11 hours ago #25183

• admin
  • Administrator
Thanks, you'll get your BTC reward for praising Astroid :-p.
Thank You,

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 11 hours ago #25185

• Marc
  • Premium Member
I offer you my Money Prize with great pleasure ! :P

In exchange, I ask you a favor for the other happy Astroid users : add a line on
about how to make changes effective by Clearing the System Cache (even if cache is disabled in Joomla).

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 10 hours ago #25186

• admin
  • Administrator
Will do Sir!
Thank You,

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 7 hours ago #25189

• admin
  • Administrator
Thank You,

custom.scss : cleaning cache in Joomla necessary to see the effects ? 1 week 3 minutes ago #25191

• Marc
  • Premium Member
oh, I see : so there are two ways :
1. clearing astroid cache...
2. and simply clearing Joomla's standard System Cache
  • Page:
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds