fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (SOLVED) Need to create module positions in Layout before module

Need to create module positions in Layout before module 4 days 5 hours ago #28283

• vkengo
Hi,

I want to create new module positions in a new section in the layout, but I'm restricted to a dropdown list of existing ones which is not useful, as I'm developing the layout prior to creating the modules.

Example, if I what to create a new module position for copyright, called copyright-a in a new section called Copyright with 2 positions, I can't. So I can't create a new position to use the Copyright option in the framework, unless I have a dummy module that will use this position, doesn't make sense. Just need to add a new name to save as a position to be available to my modules.

Am I doing something wrong, as I could not see it mentioned in the documentation as well. Usually in other frameworks, this is straight forward. any help will be much appreciated.

Astroid 2.5 on J 3.19.24

Thanks, V.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need to create module positions in Layout before module 4 days 3 hours ago #28288

• panili
Create a new module and in position, type anything you want.
Save module.
Then Go to your template's layout, you have to refresh and now you can select the new module position.

Need to create module positions in Layout before module 3 days 19 hours ago #28301

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 190
panili wrote:
Create a new module and in position, type anything you want.
Save module.
Then Go to your template's layout, you have to refresh and now you can select the new module position.

Thanks for helping out, that's exactly what I would have said.

You can also just try and set your layout with the Module Position element where ever required and then once you have finally created the Joomla module given it a custom position, just choose that in the layout in the end.

That could also work!

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

To know more about products check out the their documentation.

Need to create module positions in Layout before module 3 days 14 hours ago #28322

• vkengo
Thank you, both.

Though it doesn't really help in the normal workflow to have either to create a module first or come back to the layout. Like I said if all I want to have is a position for the build in Copyright feature in the framework I have to create a dummy module just to have the position available in the dropdown, which is just not the most practical thing.

Hope this option can be added in the framework as it will be extremely helpful for many who create the layout before the content, specially if this task is assigned to someone else as there may be a lot of dummy module.

Will have to do with at the moment, much appreciated once again.

Need to create module positions in Layout before module 2 days 18 hours ago #28354

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 190
Hi,

Right now it works that way, but you can keep the Module Position options as blank and just give the Element title name (www.screencast.com/t/yMFvn7B1hXtk).
At least this way you are clear with the layout in the backend where which modules are required as per their names.

And once you have created all the modules just set them to their positions altogether.

Nevertheless thank you for your suggestion we'll see if this can be implemented in the future or not.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

To know more about products check out the their documentation.
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds
Cron Job Starts