fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Editing URL

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21652

I'm having trouble with a site I'm trying to build for our church. I have created a number of articles that I have put into a category "Ministries". But when I click on them from the main menu, they URL shows them as "blog". I can't figure out why the URL is doing this... I don't want it to say "blog" ... I want it to say "ministries". How do I correct this?

www.oakridgewc.com
The topic has been locked.

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21653

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 642
Hi,

Joomla SEF url's work based on aliases and in this case your menu item (Ministries has an alias blog that's making the SEF url's start with blog). Changing it would fix the same.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oakridgewesleyan

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21658

THANK YOU!!! I looked all over and couldn't find that. I would have never thought to look there...

Now if I can just figure out the "Use URL rewriting" issue without breaking everything... I'll be very happy with URLs :-) (I had already renamed my htaccess.txt file to .htaccess and it seems that once I turn on " Use URL rewriting" now, it gives a 500 error for everything other than homepage. Not sure how to safely fix that issue).

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21659

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 642
500 error is when your .htacces has content that your server doesn't like.

Try replacing the content with that of the default .htaccess file github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/staging/htaccess.txt

Thank You,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21663

Hmmm... tried that... same error after renaming htaccess.txt... before I rename it, other pages all give me a parked domain message from the server host. Could the fact that I had taken steps to secure the site before by requiring https have any impact?

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21664

I THOUGHT I had finally fixed it by adding this code to the .htaccess file

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,}\s(.*)/index\.php [NC]
RewriteRule ^ %1 [R=301,L]

Credit for finding the info was on this thread originally: www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/joomla-3/remove-index-php/
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by oakridgewesleyan.

Editing URL 1 year 3 months ago #21665

Unfortunately the above code breaks the administrator end... nothing will "save" as an admin... I guess as a pain-in-the-neck work around... I could use both .htaccess files... one for while I'm making edits, and the other for once the site is "live"... but that's kind of a pain.

Editing URL 1 year 2 months ago #21912

• earang
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
Your website is working perfectly.
if you still face any issues in browsing it then try to clear your browser cache.
Thanks
I'm not a newbie, I'm a Joomla user since 2008, with advanced skills in managing it. I'm also a Linux system administrator. ^_^

(SOLVED)Editing URL 1 year 2 months ago #21927

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 218
Hey,

Your site does seem to work correctly. Considering the problem as solved now.
Topic Closed.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,

To know more about products check out the their documentation.
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds
Cron Job Starts