fbpx

Stay Home & Grab 20% Discount COVID19Grab Now

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [SOLVED] First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder

[SOLVED] First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 3 days ago #22090

• Chacapamac
What follow is not critics but observation and suggestions to better your product.

A bit of background...
I’m moving from Rocketheme to another framework to built my next web sites.
I was with them from Joomla 1.5, but their move to Gantry and trying to reinvent the wheel and force on their users their own vision of How Joomla should operate is a game changer for me. I’m a purist and believe that any Templates or Extension providers should offers products that work with and enhance the possibilities of Joomla, not by-passing them.

I’m testing right now Joomlashine Sun and the JSN PageBuilder, Joomshaper helix and their Page Builder and now You, Joomdev Astroid and your own JD Builder.

This is the first set of questions/suggestions/comments:

Just tell me what you think and if theses questions/suggestions/comments are also important for you?

The following problem are for me so critical that I will not be able to use your great builder on my productions sites.
1. The inability to edit in front-end is for me a complete No Go for your component as you completely put aside one of important force of Joomla.
— Joomla Front-end edition permit site editors to easily access and edit their articles or sections without having to enter the backend.
— Joomla Front-end is the simplest and more accessible mode of edition and should be a priority (like the backend possibility) for any editor that want to facilitate that edition
— All other Page Builder out there give that front-end possibility and ALL but Joomlashine don’t even give the same possibility in the backend they only give that blocky/draft type of edition that you also give.

Joomdev Editor give the choice of the blocky/draft type of edition PLUS the WYSIWYG Drag & Drop way but completely ignore Joomla fontend edition ???? It make no sens...

2. You cannot direct input text in the Preview page on existing string of text ????? ( I test on Chrome, maybe a bug on the free version????)
— This is another critical interface error, you should be able to insert, cut, paste text directly in existing sting of text in the preview window, this is like other builders behave and this is how it should be. What I don’t understand your cursor change to a text input cursor but impossible to ad, cut, paste any text there?
— Try all my browsers, Safari, Firefox dev Edition, Google, thinking it was a bug...

3. No button to edit new Joomla article with your editor ?
I was thinking that this was supposed to be implanted ?
— Another serious flaw....

Depending of your answers I will continue to bring suggestions to you.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 18 hours ago by Chacapamac. Reason: Solved
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 3 days ago #22092

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 543
Hi,

Thanks for trying out JD Builder. Here the replies in order.

1. This is something a few more users have asked and we are working on implementing it. It's sure is a priority and will be added in the near future.
2. This again is something we have in mind. It's not something a lot of users are asking for though but we know, this is needed and would be helpful and make editing experience more convenient. Again, something we have on our road map.
3. This is something that's currently already possible. Based on weather or not you have edited the article with JD Builder before. You get the option to edit with JD Builder or a notification that it's a "JD Page" and editing screen opens JD Builder editing page by default (screenshot attached).

Your suggestions are appreciated and important towards the betterment of our product. If you have anything else, please feel free to post!
Attachments:
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 2 days ago #22102

• Chacapamac
Thanks Chetan,
1• Front end Edition:
Your answer: This is something a few more users have asked and we are working on implementing it. It's sure is a priority and will be added in the near future.

This is great news, when implemented you will have only JD PageBuilder, JSN Page Builder and NextGen Editor (I work also to help them from time to time) that offer the possibility to edit drag & drop WYSIWYG in both backend & Frontend. Also you will bring back the full Joomla power of dual edition.

NextGen Editor on The JED: extensions.joomla.org/extension/nextgen-editor/
Check their demo, pretty cool : demo.nextgeneditor.com/pro/
— You have to press the NGE button on the top right to start edit
Their system work exactly the same in backend, I kind of like that they don’t use a component to establish Drag & drop articles but work directly with Joomla articles
I think you offers also that possibility ?

2. Cannot direct input text in the Preview page
Yes, That’s a most, if not, you loose that live edit experience, at my first test with your builder, I jump from browser to browser as I was thinking it was a bug. Like I say it’s even more disturbing that the cursor turn to a text input icon when passing over text...

3. No button to edit new Joomla article with your editor ?
— I just created an article in JD Builder component, it’s not appearing in Joomla > Content > Article and I see no way to send it there in your component.
— I just created a new article in Joomla > Content > Article, no button to edit with JD Builder

I don’t see what you show me, remember that I use the free version, maybe this is the problem?
Anyway, I think that an article or a category created in your component should automatically also appear in Joomla content and category ,
if not you are creating 2 separate system for creating content and bypassing completely Joomla.

More, a very important question arise, what happen to the content (article & category) created in JD Builder (not appearing as Joomla content) if you uninstall JD???
You're loosing them?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Chacapamac.

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 2 days ago #22110

• admin
  • Administrator
Replies in order.
1. In Jd Builder you can create pages/layouts in multiple different places.
a. Joomla Articles.
b. Joomla module type JD Builder.
c. JD Builder pages.
All 3 store the layout data in JD Builder and render on the fronted.

2. Yup, we are already on it.
3. I'll verify why it's not appearing for you. Yes, if you uninstall JD Builder all the layouts/pages are removed permanently. This may change in the future though.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 2 days ago #22108

• heretic
  • Thank you received: 3
>Chacapamac
To me, none of the features you mentioned is important.
To call the lack of them "serious flaw" is a real overstatement.

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 2 days ago #22112

• Chacapamac
heretic wrote:
>Chacapamac
To me, none of the features you mentioned is important.
To call the lack of them "serious flaw" is a real overstatement.

Everything is about perception and logic my friend.

1• Front end Edition:
For me, frontal edition is an important force of Joomla.
Wordpess, Drupal, Concrete and others Big CMS, all offer some type of frontal edition. This is an invaluable tool for many reasons and for various type of Websites. If you think about it, if all these CMS have this possibility, it’s probably good reasons for it. Maybe not important for you, but implemented in all the top CMS today.

Concrete5 is a great example of the frontend philosophy, in Concrete5, you got a complete in content edition with their own drag & drop builder, no more “backend” everything happen on the site and the administrative and edition happen at the same level. Simply Simpler!

II will give you some reasons why they all have frontend edition;
• For big websites that have content that changes regularly or websites with lot of content that need update, modification or remodelling you can have groups of people with a simple training on the editor work on these modifications without even knowing Joomla. This is part of what a CMS is supposed to be, a Content Management System that is easy to modify by people with not necessarily a big experienced in the CMS itself.

Put a smart WYSIWYG drag and drop editor in the frontend and you got power.

• In facts, for any kind of websites, for fast changes, you go to the front of your site, go to the page and boum, you fix it, change what you want, add that photos, add a coma, change a word without even entering the administration. You can do that in the bus, on your phone, going to work...

2. Cannot direct input text in the Preview page
Again, all the others drag & drop editors out there permit that, even JCE and all other editors. This is why they have the name of editor. This is even more important for a WYSIWYG Drad & Drop Editor. Being unable to change on the fly a letter, a coma or add or remove existing text is a complete oxymoron, a WYSIWYG that cannot edit text in the page and send you to a little box in the corner. You dont find that problematic? well I do and all the others big editors seem to be behind me on this one.

3. if you uninstall JD Builder all the layouts/pages are removed permanently.
That is not a problem for you “Heretic” well, it surely a big one for me. I sell solutions to my clients, not problems.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Thanks Chetan, I go back on my local site to see whats wrong with these buttons, I will come back to you.

If I dont find the problem, I will upload the site on my test server...
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Chacapamac. Reason: errors and cleanup

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 1 day ago #22126

• heretic
  • Thank you received: 3
In this case, everything is about one's need and guts to assert his own needs as highest-importance features.

All features which you propose can be useful, but the way you assert them is highly unlikeable. "Do what I say and you got the power, don't do that and you got a flaw."

WYSIWYG editors certainly offer WYSIWYG editing, but where did you see that JD Builder is advertised as WYSIWYG editor??? It is a builder with a Preview feature! Inability to edit the previewed page is a flaw?? Maybe in some of your dreams...

To demand that developers shall concentrate on what YOU want, because it is the best (according to you) is quite selfish, as other users (which have purchased JD Builder unlike you) have their own preferences and needs - don't forget that!

PS: The word you want to use is "lose", not "loose".

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 1 day ago #22137

• Chacapamac
This is what make our world interesting as human being. Its all the variation of thinking and reaction to new concepts and our ability to change and modify our actions.

I do not want to bash or denigrate the fantastic work Joomdev are doing. To the contrary, I try to present points based on my experienced and the way others renown systems work.

My goal here is to engage in a constructive discussion, I just want to help!

And it’s absolutely fine “Heretic” if you are in disaccord with what I present here. This is your point of vue and I respect it.

Give you a big Hug, from Canada! :cheer:

First important questions/suggestion on JD Builder 2 weeks 1 day ago #22138

• admin
  • Administrator
Chacapamac wrote:
And it’s absolutely fine “Heretic” if you are in disaccord with what I present here. This is your point of vue and I respect it.
Give you a big Hug, from Canada! :cheer:

@Chacapamac I totally agree.
Thank You,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chacapamac
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds