fbpx

Missed the Birthday Party? Still You Can Enjoy the PartyView Deal

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Joomla 4 developer experience

Joomla 4 developer experience 3 weeks 2 days ago #23379

• jessy87
Hi, I'm interested in picking up a PHP based CMS to which I can easily extend (front and back end). I've heard of WordPress (of course) and Drupal as alternatives, but also hear people complaining a lot about their architecture design, and how they are difficult to either understand, or extend (or both).

I'm wondering what the folks here think about the developer experience of Joomla (and I hear v4 is in Beta)? Is it easy to grock? Is it easy to write modules, templates, and plugins etc... For example, what design patterns is it using?

My other semi interest is e-commerce. What is the state of eCommerce extensions in Joomla? Are they usually free with paid feature extensions like WooCommerce? Would I be able to extend them myself if I wanted?

I know that if I wanted to make money, I should learn WordPress, but I currently just started as a junior PHP in another company, so there is no worry there. My interest in CMS platforms is purely educational and perhaps practical, if the opportunity arises. Would learning Joomla give me a strong foundation in how good systems are designed? Or is something else better?

Thanks for your time. Oh, and how long do you think J4 will be in Beta?krogerfeedback
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by jessy87.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Joomla 4 developer experience 3 weeks 2 days ago #23381

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 582
It's a very broad question, I don't think I have the experience or the knowledge to answer each of them precisely but I am going to try my very best.
jessy87 wrote:
Hi, I'm interested in picking up a PHP based CMS to which I can easily extend (front and back end). I've heard of WordPress (of course) and Drupal as alternatives, but also hear people complaining a lot about their architecture design, and how they are difficult to either understand, or extend (or both).
I haven't personally worked in Drupal myself but my experience with WordPress hasn't been Great when it comes to coding. Joomla just has so much more inbuilt that helps developers get started quickly and use it as a base for developing any kind of application. We talk about Drupal and Wordpress to quite an extent in this episode if you are into podcasts, give it a listen. www.joomdev.com/joomcast/entry/joomcast-...hat-with-steve-burge
jessy87 wrote:
I'm wondering what the folks here think about the developer experience of Joomla (and I hear v4 is in Beta)? Is it easy to grock? Is it easy to write modules, templates, and plugins etc... For example, what design patterns is it using?
Creating Modules & plugins in Joomla is actually very simple. You need a XML file that tells Joomla it’s a module/plugin or whatever and a PHP file to do the job. Joomla has a bunch of events for plugins that help you to modify the content as it appears on the page (also known as hooks in WordPress).
jessy87 wrote:
My other semi interest is e-commerce. What is the state of eCommerce extensions in Joomla? Are they usually free with paid feature extensions like WooCommerce? Would I be able to extend them myself if I wanted?
Joomla has Virtuemart, Hikashop, J2store and all 3 of these have been around for quite some time and are supported well. They work in a similar fashion to WooCommerce in WP, so kind of a freemium model.
jessy87 wrote:
I know that if I wanted to make money, I should learn WordPress, but I currently just started as a junior PHP in another company, so there is no worry there. My interest in CMS platforms is purely educational and perhaps practical, if the opportunity arises. Would learning Joomla give me a strong foundation in how good systems are designed? Or is something else better?
Yes, Wordpress is simple for clients and users to use and hence the Love for WordPress. I don’t know if learning Joomla or NOT learning Wordpress would specifically give you a solid foundation. Yes, Joomla is very broad but if you are going to be managing WordPress sites, that knowledge isn’t going to be that useful after all. So, you wanna make decisions about learning with a clear and conscious mind.

jessy87 wrote:
Thanks for your time. Oh, and how long do you think J4 will be in Beta?
I can tell you when an Astroid might hit Earth but not the J4 Release date.
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds