fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: (SOLVED) Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 1 month 2 weeks ago #28425

• watched.live
  • Thank you received: 2
There is a bug I've determined on the JD Builder Form after submitting a form with a required phone field. On clearing of the values, after the phone number is clicked on and a new value is typed, the last digit from the previously typed number still is the last number.

Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Setup a JD Builder Form with a required field of the phone number, as well as other fields before and after the phone number
  2. On page containing Builder Form, enter all of the required values of the form. For the phone number, enter 9 digits, with a 10th digit that is unique among digits. (example: 5555553334)
  3. Click on the form submission button
  4. Verify the message that the form was submitted
  5. Verify that all of the fields have appeared to be blanked out
  6. Click on the phone number field
  7. Type a digit that wasn't the last digit used earlier (example: 7)
Expected Result: Only the freshly typed digit should show up in the phone number field

Actual Result: The freshly typed digit is displayed, however the previous last digit is appended to the number. Now two digits (example: 74).

Other Note: Issue happens both if clicking on the phone number field after the first submission, or if clicking on a previous field and then tabbing to the phone number. If after first focusing on the field, another field is selected, and then the phone number field is re-selected, the bug is not present (only the freshly typed digit stays in the field)

I've attached a video of the bug in question. After clicking the Phone Number field after submission, I've typed "7", and the cursor is now between the "7" and "4"

Environment Details:
Browser: Chromium 87
Joomla! 3.9.24 Stable
JD Builder v1.11.2
HTTP Server: LightSpeed
DB: MariaDB
PHP Version: 7.4
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by watched.live.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 1 month 2 weeks ago #28430

• akash
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi,

Thank you for using the JD Simple Contact Form and providing the detailed steps.

I've tested the form at my end by following your steps and it's is working fine at my end.

Are you by any chance using a custom template for thank you message?

As I can see your form still appears after submission which is not the default behavior of JDSCF.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Akash
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 1 month 2 weeks ago #28433

• watched.live
I am not using a custom template, using the Built in Success Message form, just re-worded to have the message. I am using the "Admin Mail" Submit Action. I've temporarily placed a mostly default configuration as the front page of my dev site, [removed by author]

While all tests currently done on Windows, I've tested the bug under Chromium, FireFox, and Edge (although same rendering and javascript agents under Chromium and Edge). The bug exists under all of these browsers.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by watched.live.

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 1 month 2 weeks ago #28435

• watched.live
OK, seems I'm in the wrong category, I got the plugin name incorrect. Sorry for confusion, not this extension version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: akash

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 1 month 2 weeks ago #28437

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 213
Hi,

Well now that I know you are using the Form Element in JD Builder, so next time please post your query in the correct category to avoid any confusion. Like I said in your other post JD Simple Contact Form is a separate extension and not related to JD Builder in any way.

Coming to your bug here, YES I tested this and can see the issue. Thank you for reporting, we'll fix this in the upcoming JD Builder releases now.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

To know more about products check out the their documentation.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by nishtha.

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 3 weeks 15 hours ago #29089

• watched.live
Technically speaking, 1.11.3 fixes the issue in that after submit, typing a new character in the phone field doesn't retain the previous digit, however there are side effects introduced due to (I assume) topic Contact Form (in JD Archi). At this point, there is no validation used, and so the field is simply a number field that doesn't have the up/down buttons. The "fix" in 1.11.3 also makes it less likely that my feature request Form Element Phone Number Display Format will be implemented.

From the fix, I'm seeing that the displayed value of the field isn't actually what is passed on in the email, but what is inside of the hidden field "__value" (which has a name value, where as the displayed field doesn't have a name, and therefor passed on in submission). data-parsley therefor appears to only look that all characters are [0-9].

If need be, I can make a new topic as the bug was technically fixed (although I don't really like the means of fix, even if I'm not the developer).

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 3 weeks 14 hours ago #29095

• nishtha
  • Thank you received: 213
Hey,

In the current update we have majorly fixed 2 things with the phone field type that are: not retaining the digit from the previous submission and removing the 10 digit limit. So yes you can say it's now just a number field with no up/down buttons.

Coming to your feature request like I said it is under discussion, also we are working on improving the overall JD Builder and other things around it. So soon you will get to know how that goes.

And for the second thing it would be a better option if you can create a new topic and attach some related screenshots for better understanding that'll be more than helpful.

Concluding that the main problem of this topic has been fixed therefore the topic shall be closed and for more queries you can create a new one.

Thanks,
Nishtha
Thank You,

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 3 weeks 14 hours ago #29096

• watched.live
OK, will make a separate topic in terms of the hidden field, but that seems more like an implementation decision than a real "bug". IMO, removal of the 10 digit restriction is a regression in features for users in any country that does have a standard 10 digit phone number (unless it came with an option that said "enforce 10 digit length" or similar). As the user requesting the change said, they would expect 8 digits for their region, and any country would have anywhere from 7 to 12 digits (per E.164), not 2 or 376 digits.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 14 hours ago by watched.live.

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 2 weeks 6 days ago #29113

• chandandeep
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 631
Hello,

In the latest version. We removed the 10 digits restriction. Now, the users can submit any number.
Have you checked?

Thanks,
Chandan
Thank You,

Bug: Phone Number after submit retains digit 2 weeks 6 days ago #29114

• watched.live
Hello Chandan,

Yes, I have checked, and this is the behavior I'm seeing, however I don't like that I am seeing this behavior. To someone in Austrailia with an 8 or 10 digit number, this behavior is good. However me being in North America, I liked it being restricted to 10 digits. This way I can force an area code (3), prefix (3), and line number (4). Much of North America now allow for what are called overlay plans which cover multiple area codes, and people in my area are accustomed to only one area code, so they ignore that, and may simply provide 7 digits for the prefix and line number. But I would like to make sure they provide the area code, even if I can assume what the code would be. Restricting for 10 digits also is one extra check against a digit accidentally omitted, or an extra digit accidentally added.

I plan to flesh out my Form Element Phone Number Display Format feature request, and request that this display format be validated and required. This will allow me to be happy (with my "(xxx) xxx-xxxx" format), as well as Norwegians (with a "xxxx xxxx" format).

Per E.164, outside of a country code or extension (which couldn't be used, as "x" or any other non-numerical character is not allowed), there must be between 7 and 12 digits. So having no restrictions on the phone number doesn't make sense. At minimum, it should require that the 7-12 digit length is enforced.
  • Page:
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 1.286 seconds
Cron Job Starts