fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION?

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 3 weeks ago #30577

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I’m trying your JD Builder seriously to evaluate the possibilities and limitations.

First SUGGESTION::

• I was looking for a video to revisit JD Builder interface and generic workflow and need to search on your site to find something ???.

— My expectation was to find something better than the really bad intro video when you first enter JoomDev.
— My expectation was to find a good generic video that guide me in a tour of the main functions & generic workflow & capabilities directly at the top level of the Page Builder menu, but nothing. It seem that you expect people to waste their time to “Look around”

Suggestion 1:
• Please redo and link to the top front page a GOOD video, with narration, that show really what your builder can do.
—The actual presentation video show and explain nothing and the pace and music is simply nauseating, horrible introduction to one the most important force of JoomDev

Suggestion 2:
Put a similar link to your new JD BUILDER VIDEO in the top of the mosts importants page in your Page Builder menu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 2 weeks ago #30623

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
Noted, we'll get working on a video and do a better one for the page.

Thanks for all you do.
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 2 weeks ago #30624

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
Thank You Chetan !

I know you guys are probably busy with Joomla 4 peaking at the door.

Did you see this from Joomla?

Birthday Present Announcement - Joomla 4 Stable 17th August
www.joomla.org/announcements/release-new...ble-17th-august.html

And it is with great pride that the Joomla! Project would like to announce the planned launch of Joomla 4.0 and Joomla 3.10 to coincide with its birthday celebrations.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Chacapamac.

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 2 weeks ago #30628

• admin
  • Administrator
Yes, I did saw the release notice and had a heart attack after seeing the same since our products aren't near ready for Joomla 4.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 2 weeks ago #30630

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
Not only you, I see all the Joomla forum become relatively unresponsive. I think everybody is scrambling down to cope.

My advice, is to be honest with your base to not update if your templates or extensions are not ready.
Anyway 4.0 will be release with 3.10 that they qualified of “ Migration from Joomla 3.9

Migration & Joomla together in the same sentence bring me some nightmarish visions. :evil:

Meaning that even 3.10 will probably bring problems and should be tested extensively before updating a live website as many developers seem to not be ready.
I know I will, migration is not the same term than upgrade.

Pass the info on your Website, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, the Daily Martian..., wake up your community that the passage to Joomla 3.10 and 4, even if “Stable” need to be taken slowly and with top precautions.
And that JoomDev will need to do the same to insure that the Astroid framework, JD Builder and templates will be “migrated”’ correctly to the new Joomla 4.

The only thing I will be worry about is if Joomdev customers start to blindly update their websites. They will be mad at Joomdev and Joomla. Put that warning out there, they need to understand what “migration” mean....

You guys are not alone, I can feel it in the Joomla community. I’m sure that the late release of Joomla 4 will not repeat the same impact the “ migration” 1.5 to 2.5 and finally 3 have on the CMS itself.

These events was like the meteorite that kill the dinosaurs, but Joomla endure & came out to be the great CMS we know to the price of loosing the “popular” contest” — I’m certain that the Joomla Devs work hard to not repeat that.

Please Chetan, no heart attack, I really care.... :)
I think you have a pretty nice community, they will understand, everybody should work together to pass that

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 1 week ago #30671

• admin
  • Administrator
Thank you, I hear you! We are getting a blog post out tomorrow explain what extensions will work on J4 and will we are working not, just so we are not dealing with broken sites and stuff.

But the "Nice Community" is all backed by a commercial enterprise and if there is no revenue flowing, there isn't anything nice about the community, and that's what I am really scared about with Joomla 4.
Joomla already has a very small user base and with Joomla 4, The growth in numbers might just come to a complete halt. May be I am just being pessimistic and I'd love to be proven wrong about :).

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 1 week ago #30685

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
I hear you Chetan.

I think that if we talk about Joomla itself the update/migration seem straightforward.
We are far from the 1.5 to 2.5 to 3 situation...

My advice will be to spread the infos and the “How to” to your customers and make them understand that this is not a typical “One click” upgrade & some precautions need to be taken to run smoothly and

I find these articles that should demystify the process :

In order of Reading:
• From Joomla —> Joomla 3.x to 4.x Step by Step Migration
docs.joomla.org/Joomla_3.x_to_4.x_Step_by_Step_Migration

• From Joomla —> Joomla 3.10 Pre-Update Check
docs.joomla.org/Pre-Update_Check

• From Joomla —> Planning for Mini-Migration - Joomla 3.10.x to 4.x
docs.joomla.org/Planning_for_Mini-Migrat...Joomla_3.10.x_to_4.x

Important Concepts for your clients:

• First, let’s be calm, Joomla 3.10 will be supported 2 YEARS after the release of 3.10
— at —> developer.joomla.org/roadmap.html#310

• Joomla 4 will (contrary to WP) bring this already great CMS to the modern end of web technologies
(I’m trying to find the best article that really depict all the goodies.... Will come back on that...

• Joomla 3.10 is the first mini migration and should be done on a website copy, ideally
— Joomla 3.10 contain a “Pre-Update Check” tool that check all aspect of a website and 3rd party extensions to see if ready for Joomla 4

• From There Joomla 4 should be a non-event update

• A small ‘How to” should be presented to your customers on how to use Akeeba backup free (should be on ALL Joomla websites anyway) to backup their website and easily deploy a copy on a local server or on a sub-domain on their live server to test the transition.
at —> akeeba.com/products/akeeba-backup.html

That should cover the infos

Now you have 2 years to update your framework and bread winners extensions.

Dont forget your Builder, this is primordial. (see my advices on that...)

Will be behind you guys, Astroid rocks!
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Chacapamac. Reason: Mistake
The following user(s) said Thank You: iorbita

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 1 week ago #30708

• admin
  • Administrator
Thanks, we got this out.

www.joomdev.com/blog/entry/plan-for-joomla-4

Your posts are very very helpful.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 1 week ago #30705

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
Joomla 3.10.0 & finally Joomla 4 are out.

Please DO NOT INSTALL until reading the infos in this post

No Rush!

Just start to work & evaluate JD Builder, first SUGGESTION? 1 month 4 days ago #30780

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
Remember Chetan that you can use anything I post here anyway you want on Joomdev website. You can modify, whatever, if it help you guys (and girls).

Joomla 3 to 4 safe upgrade notes:

• Please Backup your site before upgrading anything
If you are serious and care about your website (Whatever CMS it is) you should NEVER blindly update anything without at least take a full backup if something goes wrong.
Can be done in seconds with the great free well known Joomla component Akeeba Backup at —> akeeba.com/products/akeeba-backup.html

Note: Thanks to Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos that since 2006 create and develop with his team at Akeeba some of the most useful extensions for Joomla (and now WP) like Akeeba Backup, Akeeba Admin Tools (for security, htaccess creation and more…) (I use the pro version on ALL my websites forever.).

Now with this Akeeba backup/clone you can not only revert your main website in seconds if anything goes wrong with it, but you can also reinstall that clone in seconds anywhere on your local server, or your live test environment without a sweat.
I never rely entirely on those CPanel server backups because they sometimes fail and mostly when you need them (They still can be a fail-safe in case of bad luck).

With Akeeba, it becomes a routine, just before updating anything on my live server or even my local clone, I take a backup. I test all updates on my local copy and check for errors. If ok, I backup & update my live site, check for errors and do another backup of both the live and clone website in the fully Update state.

This simple technique saves my beacon more than one time over many years. Also, Akeeba generates a simple compress file or collection of compress files ( for big websites) that you can manage, name to your liking download for safekeeping and keep your size quota in check.

• Even Better test your upgrade on your website clone by creating a testing environment

• The easy way
Creating a live testing environment on the hosting space you own
— Just create a subdomain and a dedicated database in the CPanel of your hosting company.
Ideally, you want that subdomain to reside at the same level as your live website and NOT INSIDE your website as many Cpanel subdomains creation buttons do. Ask your hosting service to create it for you that way, it will take them few seconds.

It should look like that on the server

Subdomains are normally free to add to your account and, no need to buy a domain name.

Example on my hosting space:
On my hosting company, I’m not using the “Subdomain” button but the “Domain” tool to create a new sub-domain and use the real main domain name as a suffix.

My real site folder and Domain Name —> my-website.com
My testing website space —> test.my-website.com

Using subdomains (made with subdomain button) normally in your real website public_html. This not really optimal as they will use the same htaccess and settings of your main website. Also, they can be a cause of breach of security and need to be hidden from Search engines

The way show here, permit to have more control on that space and permit way more control for testing and at the security and access settings

The not so easy way but really practical
• Creating a local server with MAMP or other software:
— Free on PC & Mac with the well known Mamp software —> Free to download and use —> www.mamp.info/en/downloads/
(Need some knowledge of Mamp, servers but relatively easy to install and use)

Can wait to test Joomla 4
  • Page:
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds
Cron Job Starts