fbpx

An Exclusive Offer For You To Grab JD Builder Pro Check Deal of The Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Need a new feature in Astroid?

Submit feature requests on github and help improve Astroid.

Submit Now
  • Page:

TOPIC: Menu position disappeared

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10715

• tcn
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi there,

We are setting up a Kunena forum ahead of a big migration and are currently testing the settings and layout. We chose the JD New York template for displaying the forum since the layout looks very clean and comes close to what our users are used. A big thank you for the template.

Today, I was playing around with the "hide on mobile" setting for the menu after a user suggested that it takes up too much space on a small screen. Doing so I "lost" the menu position in the layout. And I'm at a loss on how to get it back.

The red arrow indicates where it used to say "menu". Needless to say, the menu is no longer being displayed.

Thanks for your help.
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by tcn.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10721

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 470
Hello,

The settings of the particular section are on the right (the gear icon), I'd say just have a look in again and try to undo what you did.

It's hard to assist without being able to look at it. Is the site online? Can you post a link to it?

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10724

• tcn
admin wrote:
The settings of the particular section are on the right (the gear icon), I'd say just have a look in again and try to undo what you did.
That's what I tried several times. I'm convinced there was no menu to select from in Module Position. It looked like displayed:

That's why I was at a loss. While waiting for some advice, I had a look at the Helix3 documentation which somehow pointed me to the menu modules. I discovered that one menu module was no longer published. I believe it was the Main Menu. That is also used in another template for the main site. We use different templates for main site and forum. Yet, on the main site the menu was still shown.

When I read your reply, I went back to take a screenshot of the available Module Positions. Lo and behold, the menu position was listed once more. For now the problem is solved. But I'm hesitant to play with the hide options again... Any idea why playing with these options may have an effect on the menu position?

It's hard to assist without being able to look at it. Is the site online? Can you post a link to it?

The site is online but guarded by a htaccess password. One measure to protect ourselves from accidentally publishing sensitive data while we are still testing.

Thanks for helping me help myself. ;) I'm usually at the other end of these mysteriously vanishing issues.

Btw, what's the template in use on this site? Looks pretty good as well. I guess you did some advanced customization of the Kunena styling and code. Am I right?

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10725

• admin
  • Administrator
Reading your rest of the message, but until then.

We use Astoid on our site and @chandan did some work on kunena. I can really just hand you CSS for kunena we have on our end if you need to use it with Astroid.

Back to "Stranger Things".
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10727

• admin
  • Administrator
I just checked the demo at demo.joomdev.com/newyork/toolbar/ and position menu was selected in there. As long as you keep that intact, you should be fine.

Thank You,

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10728

• tcn
Thanks for looking into it.

Unfortunately on my side things are not so sunny. On the upside: I have a way to reproduce the disappearance of the menu position. And I also know how to get it back. It's quite a long story, which I will post later. It's already way past midnight over here (CET) and I have to get up early. :side:

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10729

• admin
  • Administrator
Good Night!
Thank You,

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10749

• tcn
Ok. Here is my story. It's a long story (you can skip the spoiler). I've been thinking about it and my guess so far the issue is in either Helix3 or our Joomla installation. Any pointers on how to further troubleshoot are greatly appreciated.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Catch 22

Meanwhile, Chetan replied to my cry for help suggesting to go back into the settings and undo. But I had no menu position. So, I decided to take a screenshot to show it. To my surprise, the menu position was back. I was flabbergasted. It was late and I decided it might just have been one of those moments. It was not.

I restored the menu position, but that lead to the double menu quirk. The main menu was shown twice - formatted as before and unformatted in a vertical alignment. I read on this forum that this happened when a module was assigned to the same position. I quickly removed the position assignment for the main menu and thought everything was hunky dory again. It appeared that way. Site and forum looked as before.

Yet, going back into the layout settings, while the menu position was shown in the overview, it wasn't shown as selected in the Menu Position inside settings (cog wheels). I hesitated for a while not wanting to mess things up again. I decided against it, preferring to better understand than to ignore. As soon as I made a change and pushed Apply, I had successfully destroyed the main menu on JD NewYork powered pages.

I'm still at a loss. I can reproduce the erroneous behavior, but I haven't got a clue how to straighten that out.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10757

• admin
  • Administrator
I am going to read this shortly.... but until then please accept the award for the longest post our forum.

You have made a record and your name (username), will be written in the history (archive) forums for the future.
May be the Seven Gods be with you!

-- Chetan
Thank You,

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10822

• admin
  • Administrator
Finally Read It! Sorry, busy busy day yesterday.

the reason the menu position might not show up is because there might not be a module published to it.
2 way's the module positions drop down is compiled.
1. TemplateDetails.xml file positions.
2. All active & published modules.

Either way, If you'd like me to take a look, please email me your site's backend login at chetan at joomdev and I'll be more than happy to take a look in and fix it for you.
Will make sure not to mess up your live site and take a backup in case things head south.

On top of everything, I learned a new word "flabbergasted", english not being my mother tongue, this is helpful.
Thank You,
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by admin.
  • Page:
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds