fbpx

An Exclusive Offer For You To Grab JD Builder Pro Check Deal of The Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Need a new feature in Astroid?

Submit feature requests on github and help improve Astroid.

Submit Now

TOPIC: Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 3 days ago #11328

• tcn
  • Thank you received: 3
I've been puzzling with the Kunena menu for some time now. I finally got around to configuring it in the way I'd like it to behave. Unfortunately, the Mega Menu (it's the same behavior in JD NewYork and Astroid) doesn't honor the settings I configured.

Kunena Menu

The Kunena menu is setup in a way that you have a top level item usually called Kunena or Forum with a corresponding alias. The alias ensures everything forum related will have a URL starting with {website}/{top_level_alias}. In our case that would be kunena.transalpclub.nl/forum. So far so good. But the single top level means their will only be one item displayed initially when the menu is published. The advantage, and probably the reason, is, that all forum content will be below '/forum'. That helps with SEO/SEF and also when determining if a URL belongs to the forum or a different part of your site.

Hiding the Top Level Item

I've been wrecking my brain how to hide the top level item, so the menu items that are actually meaningful to the users, will be displayed directly in the header and off-canvas menu. My settings are currently as shown for both the off-canvas and the mega menu. I use two separate menu modules linked to the same Kunena menu. One is assigned to the mega menu, the other is published in the offcanvas position.

The base item is set to the first menu item below the top level item. Setting the start level to 2 ensures the top level item (Forum is hidden. In the off-canvas menu this works as intended:

However, in the mega menu, the top level item is still shown:

How can I get the mega menu to behave like a good Joomla citizen and honor the settings I configured?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 3 days ago #11337

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 470
Hey Sandro,

Understood! A good solider (menu) if of no use if it doesn't honor the lord.

We had this discussion that was resolved in a devlopment version, but's only applicable to Astroid.
www.joomdev.com/forum/astroid-framework/...-joomla-menu-modules

My question to you, did you start using Astroid for the forum page or does it use JD Newyork (which is a different framework).

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 3 days ago #11342

• tcn
We are using JD NewYork for the forum pages and Astroid on all other pages.

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 3 days ago #11344

• admin
  • Administrator
Ahhhhh. the oposite.
Digging here!
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 3 days ago #11360

• admin
  • Administrator
I found this vague answer on the helix forums, that confirms there isn't a solution tinyurl.com/ybcc8k5t (Screenshot, since you have to login in order to see replies).

What you can do however is create a new menu (Kunena Mega Menu), and create just the menu items you need in there (Make sure they are alias pointing to the original menu items or else you'll end up with duplicate links and stuff) and use that menu as your mega menu for the forum page.

I really really Hope Chandan (Our Design Lead), finishes the kunena overrides for Astroid ASAP and I can ask you to switch once and for all.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 21 hours ago #11439

• tcn
admin wrote:
I found this vague answer on the helix forums, that confirms there isn't a solution tinyurl.com/ybcc8k5t (Screenshot, since you have to login in order to see replies).

Yeah, that's pretty much the answer I was afraid of. Good thing you are doing it differently in Astroid.

What you can do however is create a new menu (Kunena Mega Menu), and create just the menu items you need in there (Make sure they are alias pointing to the original menu items or else you'll end up with duplicate links and stuff) and use that menu as your mega menu for the forum page.

That's something I considered earlier myself. Seeing that there is no other way in Helix3, I did exactly that. It works. But I'd rather avoid this extra layer of abstraction. It makes my head spin and violates the KISS principle. For now it will have to do.

I really really Hope Chandan (Our Design Lead), finishes the kunena overrides for Astroid ASAP and I can ask you to switch once and for all.

Send him my regards. I'd personally bring you all a round of whatever you preferred beverage is, if it weren't for the distance. You are doing outstanding work, coding as well as supporting. A big thank you to the whole team for that.

Mega Menu doesn't honor menu settings 10 months 15 hours ago #11440

• admin
  • Administrator
Thanks Sandro for the kind words. It's words like this that gets me up in the morning.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds