fbpx

An Exclusive Offer For You To Grab JD Builder Pro Check Deal of The Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Need a new feature in Astroid?

Submit feature requests on github and help improve Astroid.

Submit Now
  • Page:

TOPIC: Menu position disappeared

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10825

• tcn
  • Thank you received: 3
admin wrote:
please accept the award for the longest post our forum.

You have made a record and your name (username), will be written in the history (archive) forums for the future.
May be the Seven Gods be with you!

Amen! I'll wear it as a batch of honor.

admin wrote:
the reason the menu position might not show up is because there might not be a module published to it.
2 way's the module positions drop down is compiled.
1. TemplateDetails.xml file positions.
2. All active & published modules.

Therw was/is indeed no module published in the menu position. That was the situation from the start, right after installing the JD NewYork template. Yet, the position was shown in the layout and the default menu appeared in that position on the site. That's why I never looked into it. Only after things went south.

When start publishing a menu to that position, it triggers something causing the default and the published menu to be displayed. If that happens to be the same menu, the menu is shown twice. I'll can force that situation to get you a screenshot if you like.

I'll have a look at the TemplateDetails.xml file. Maybe I'll learn something. I had a look at the backend file storage trying to better understand what the structure is and how things relate in general. I discovered something in the html/mod_menu folder:

The backed up files, carrying the date stamps, are from around the time I started fiddling with the menu. I was planning on restoring them just to see what it would bring. I guess it will return things to how they were before I started fiddling around, though probably not a solution to the issue at hand.

Either way, If you'd like me to take a look, please email me your site's backend login at chetan at joomdev and I'll be more than happy to take a look in and fix it for you.
Will make sure not to mess up your live site and take a backup in case things head south.

Thanks for the offer. I'll consider it. The server our test environment runs on, is run by one of our members and he's got business stuff on there as well. I at least need to give him a heads up first. I'll let you know.

On top of everything, I learned a new word "flabbergasted", english not being my mother tongue, this is helpful.

We all live and learn. :) I'm glad I could return a small favor for all the help and insights you have provided so far.

Thank you, Chetan!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10826

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 470
Sounds Good. I'll wait to hear back for an update here then.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10829

• tcn
I restored the backed up files from html/mod_menu, but it didn't change anything with respect to the menus. On mobile I still don't get any menu, neither in the menu position nor offcanvas.

I also had a look in TemplateDetails.xml in the root folder of the template:

<!--Start Menu Tab-->
            <fieldset name="menu">
                <field type="group" title="HELIX_MEGAMENU" />
  -->       <field name="menu" type="menu" default="mainmenu" label="HELIX_MEGAMENU_SELECT" description="HELIX_MEGAMENU_SELECT_DESC" />
                <field name="menu_type" class="parent menutype" type="list" default="mega_offcanvas" label="HELIX_MENU_TYPE" description="HELIX_MENU_TYPE_DESC">
                    <option value="mega_offcanvas">HELIX_MEGAMENU_OFFCANVAS</option>
                    <option value="mega">HELIX_MEGAMENU</option>
                    <option value="offcanvas">HELIX_OFFCANVAS</option>
                </field>

Where I put the arrow is what caught my attention. We have a menu with menu type mainmenu:

Could this be causing a conflict?

I already tried replacing it with an empty string, It didn't change things, though. But I guess that alone would not be enough, anyway. I need to do something else, right? The XML file is only used to define the available options in the style editor, I guess.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10830

• tcn
Where are the options for each position stored? I once enabled Hide on Mobile for either the menu position or the entire header section. I don't remember which. I want to have a look if something has been stored that I need to revert.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10833

• admin
  • Administrator
Hello,

I don't think the XML (where you pointed with the arrow), is causing the issue. That's just the default value and once you save (update it), it doesn't really matter anymore.

The Hide on Mobile and other options are stored in the params column in #__templates table in the Database to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10839

• tcn
Thanks, again. I'll have a look at the database tomorrow. Or is there an easier way of resetting everything, other than reinstalling, with respect to the template?

(WORKAROUND) Menu position disappeared 10 months 2 weeks ago #10868

• tcn
Well, if your template framework behaves strange, you have to adjust and act strange yourself.

That brought me to creating an empty menu and assigning it to the menu position. That way I don't have to worry about the position disappearing again should I modify the options. It remains a mystery to me why there is a position called menu. Everything related to the menu is configured in the Menu tab and in the menu items itself. If you would want to publish something in the menu position, it wouldn't be a menu module, but rather something else in addition to your menu. But that could also be achieved by using the Helix3 Mega Menu settings inside the menu item editor. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Chetan!

(WORKAROUND) Menu position disappeared 10 months 1 week ago #10879

• admin
  • Administrator
Glad it worked out!

The template framework does behave a little strange and that's why we ended up creating Astroid (I explained the same thing in the beginning of this video ).

Adios for now,
Chetan

tcn wrote:
Well, if your template framework behaves strange, you have to adjust and act strange yourself.

That brought me to creating an empty menu and assigning it to the menu position. That way I don't have to worry about the position disappearing again should I modify the options. It remains a mystery to me why there is a position called menu. Everything related to the menu is configured in the Menu tab and in the menu items itself. If you would want to publish something in the menu position, it wouldn't be a menu module, but rather something else in addition to your menu. But that could also be achieved by using the Helix3 Mega Menu settings inside the menu item editor. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Chetan!
Thank You,

(WORKAROUND) Menu position disappeared 10 months 1 week ago #10915

• tcn
admin wrote:
Glad it worked out!

Well, it didn't work out in the end. I was busy customizing the layout further when suddenly things went south once more. :ohmy:

Since everything I did was in a custom.css file, I thought removing that file (having saved it locally first) would at least restore everything to default. No such luck. So, I decided to say good bye to Helix3. It was frustrating and time consuming.

I installed Astroid Framework and the accompanying Zero template after having watched the introduction on YouTube that you posted. So far, I'm very happy with it. We were planning on giving our site a face lift, anyway. Although, this means a little more work now, we will reap the benefits later on. I do have a some questions. But I'll post them in the Astroid Framework board.

(WORKAROUND) Menu position disappeared 10 months 1 week ago #10917

• admin
  • Administrator
Good Thing! I'll be able to help much better with Astroid since we created it from scratch and I am familiar with every line of code written in it.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
  • Page:
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds