fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work?

Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work? 4 days 3 hours ago #29680

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 7
If I understand well, in Astroid, to create a new module position, you still need to add it manually to Astroid template xml?

Maybe it’s different now ?

Anyway this is ANNOYING as other frameworks do that automatically...

Curiously if I create a new Joomla module and give it a custom name I want for the position, say —> events-breadcrumbs and save the module.

Now I can add that position to a new Astroid Section ????
Nothing is added to the templateDetails.xml and it work perfectly??????

Can somebody explain....
Last Edit: 4 days 3 hours ago by Chacapamac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work? 1 day 1 hour ago #29730

• pkuhlmann
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi there,
I always add some modules manually for better identifiation or when I want to insert the module into a Joomla article.
In the XML file are only modules which are selectable

Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work? 1 day 1 hour ago #29731

• Chacapamac
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 7

Selectable for ? — Not sure I’m clear here....

I astroid Layout builder you can only select the names of “Positions” in the scroll down list. It mostly reflect the template xml.
You cannot “Create a new position” without adding it first to the xml...

Note: that should be modified as many frameworks permit you to “Create a new position” without even knowing what a template.xml file is...

But, if you are in a Joomla module settings, in the “Position” input field you put whatever name you want to your position — e.g. myspecialposition —> and enter it (return) — Now this position name will be available to the Astroid Layout manager an work perfectly without having to go in the xml file.

This is the behaviour I like to have more infos on...

Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work? 19 hours 47 minutes ago #29734

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 629
Chacapamac wrote:

Selectable for ? — Not sure I’m clear here....

I astroid Layout builder you can only select the names of “Positions” in the scroll down list. It mostly reflect the template xml.
You cannot “Create a new position” without adding it first to the xml...

Note: that should be modified as many frameworks permit you to “Create a new position” without even knowing what a template.xml file is...

But, if you are in a Joomla module settings, in the “Position” input field you put whatever name you want to your position — e.g. myspecialposition —> and enter it (return) — Now this position name will be available to the Astroid Layout manager an work perfectly without having to go in the xml file.

This is the behaviour I like to have more infos on...

At this point, it goes back into a loop, when it comes to selecting positions in Astroid (layout manager or others) that the position must either exist in templateDetails.xml file or Joomla's Module manager.

A simple way to do it is publish a module to the position and then go to the layout manager to add it to your website's layout.

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.

Why this way of creating a new module position without adding it to the template xml work? 19 hours 51 minutes ago #29733

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 629
Hello,

Apologies for the delay in reply here! Nishtha is no longer with the company and I am trying to juggle too many items here (this is me: giphy.com/gifs/BvjoYFizIt5yU).

So, the reason module positions aren't added to the templateDetails.xml file as they would go away everytime there is a template update.

Well, the only benefit of having positions added to the templateDetails.xml file is that they would automatically appear in auto select while creating a new module.

That's it, nothing else! If you remember the position name, just publish a module to it and once it's in the module manager, it's always visible in the auto select!

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Chetan
Thank You,
If you like our support and products, tweet us at joomdev and let the world know about it.
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds
Cron Job Starts